零距离美语会话[文化风俗差异]Lesson5:Didyoutipthebellboy

2012-06-01 10:32:27 

Five  Did you tip the bellboy?
你付小费给那个服务生了吗?

 1   Introduction
A  It is the custom to give tips to waiters in restaurants and taxi drivers.
在餐馆给服务员小费、给的士司机小费被认为是习俗。
B  It is also American custom when visiting friends to telephone ahead of time to let them know you are coming.
在拜访朋友时,提早打电话让他们知道你来了也被认为是一种美国习俗。
C  In America and Britain, it is not acceptable to smoke in a friend’s home without asking.
在美国和英国,没有询问对方就在朋友家抽烟是不能容忍的。
D  When someone moves into a new home, it is the custom to give a “housewarming” gift.
当别人搬进新房子时,送上一份乔迁之喜礼物是一种风俗。
E  When a couple gets married, the bride’s family usually pays for the reception.
夫妻结婚时,新娘家通常支付宴会费用。
F  When a child is born, the father often gives cigars to friends.
小孩出生时,父亲常常送雪茄烟给朋友们。
G  Usually Americans go Dutch when they go out to eat, unless it is understood ahead of time that one person will pay for everyone.
美国人外出吃饭通常是各自付帐,除非之前有人说请客。

 2   Sample Sentences
1.  Are the customs the same or different in your country?
    在你们GJ,风俗习惯是一样,还是不同?
2.  I heard you’re supposed to kiss each other at midnight on New Year’s Eve.  Is that right?
   我听说除夕的子夜时刻你们应该互相亲吻。是这样吗?
3.  When you come back from a vacation, you’re expected to bring small gifts for your friends.
   当你度假回来,你理应带些小礼物给你的朋友。
4.  Are you familiar with the customs here?
    你对这儿的风俗习惯熟悉吗?
5.  What are you expected to do on Thanksgiving in your country?
    在你们GJ,感恩节你理应做些什么?
6.  Every time my husband leaves home, he hugs me and kisses me goodbye.
    每次我丈夫出门,他都拥抱我,并亲吻说再见。
7.  When a man wants to marry a girl, it’s customary that he buys her a ring and asks her to marry him.
    当一个男人想要与一个女孩结婚时,习惯上他买一个戒指给她并要求她嫁给他。
8.  People here are proud of their heritage.
    这里的人们都为他们的血统感到自豪。
9.  You won’t be seen so much in America.  You only see cars going by often.
    在美国你不会被经常看到。你只看到车子经常经过。
10.  You are supposed to pay the gas bill when you use someone’s car.
     当你用别人的车时,你应该付汽油钱。

 3   Conversations
1.  How much should I leave?
Two Chinese business people are unpacking in their San Diego hotel room.
Susan:  Did you tip the bellboy1? 
Tom:  Yes, but I don't think it was enough.  He looked disappointed.  I gave him three dollars.
Susan:  That sounds about right to me, fifty cents a bag.  If they think you don't know better2, they'll try to get more.
Tom:  It's the same in Kauloon.  But I definitely think we over-tipped the cab driver.  The fare was twenty dollars, and you gave him a five-dollar tip.  That's twenty-five percent of the total!  Too much!
Susan:  I disagree.  He was polite and informative3, and he drove smoothly.  One should reward4 good service.
(Later in the hotel dining room)
Tom:  I'll sign for5 dinner and charge it to our room.  Let's see.  The bill is one hundred dollars.  That seems reasonable.  How much tip should I leave?
Susan:  Remember last month when we were in Europe?  Maybe Californians use that same system: they add the waiter or waitress into the bill, so you don't have to leave anything extra.
【译文】
——你付小费给那个服务生了吗?
——给了,但是我想没给够。他看起来有些失望。我给了他三美金。
——我觉得还公正,一个旅行袋五十美分。如果他们认为你不知行情,他们会试着多要钱。
——在Kauloon也是这样。但是我肯定我们多给了出租车司机小费。车费是20美金,而你给了他五美金小费。那是总额的四分之一。太多了!
——我不赞同。他又有礼貌,见识又广,而且他开车很平稳。一个人应该对好的服务给予报酬。(不久,在酒店餐厅里)
——我来签收晚餐,记入我们房。看看。账单是一百美金。看起来很合理。我应该给多少小费呢?
——记得上个月我们在欧洲吗?也许加州人使用同样的方式:他们把男服务生或者女服务生加入了账单内,所以你不必额外给钱。

零距离美语会话[文化风俗差异]Lesson5:Didyoutipthebellboy》永久阅读地址: http://91kudian.com/yingyu/1539/